Sunday, March 27, 2011

Folks I met

A while ago I decided I should blog about every concert I went to.
Since I've already cheated but still have some cool pictures and stories to share, this is an all including blog on the most recent shows.
The title is a bit stolen from the band Jaywalkers, it's one of their songs and since I did actually meet a few people it's fitting!

February 28th
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
Maroon 5


For the birthday of my sister Anouk we bought tickets to see Maroon 5. They hadn't been to The Netherlands in a very long time and since the three of us all liked the music and of course Mr. Levine himself, we decided this would be a fun 'sisters night out'.
Sara Bareilles, support act, warmed us up with a few of her early songs such as 'Love song', songs of her new album but also the covers 'Yellow' from Coldplay and 'Fuck you' from Cee-Lo. She really got the crowd going.
I bought her first album when I was in the USA and actually forgot about it for a while now, but this show reminded me what a great artist she is.

Then it was time for Maroon 5!


Their live performance was amazing, even though you expect a certain quality I was still surprised by how good Adams voice was and the band. They easily switched from one of the songs to amazing solo's in between.


And let's be honest... they are really easy on the eyes.
We also had a little sing-along during 'She will be loved' and the beginning of the clip is funny.



Setlist
Misery
If I Never See Your Face Again
Harder to Breathe
Give a Little More
The Sun
Never Gonna Leave This Bed
Secret / What's Love Got to Do With
Let's Stay Together (Al Green cover)
She Will Be Loved
Wake Up Call
Stutter
This Love
Encore:
Makes Me Wonder
Sunday Morning

You know that feeling when you are annoyed by all the girls that scream and almost throw themselves at the stage? I do.
But do you also know the feeling when you realize you are screaming just as bad? Unfortunately, I do know that one too now haha. Great show!

March 15th
Melkweg, Amsterdam
KT Tunstall


KT's show was opened by Pictish Trail, a young guy from Scotland making groundbreaking music and who also manages a small record label with a friend.
He played a few songs for us, (just him, a guitar and a synthesizer) some more melancholic than the other but pretty.


He also made an album with 50 songs of only 30 seconds each, hilarious songs.
The man himself was pretty hilarious too, he should start a theater tour combining music with jokes.
More info about him is on this link to his Myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/pictishtrail

Then it was KT's turn. I've been a fan of her music for some years now and already loved the albums 'Eye to the telescope' and 'Drastic Fantastic' but then 'Tiger Suit' came out.


The second album already had a little more edge than the first one, but number three is on a total new level. On the deluxe version of the album, she explains in a documentary that she wanted something different this time. She worked with different writers and musicians to find that exact sound and man did she find it.
Most songs start of calmly but build up to something so impressive, the drums and synthesizers probably are of the most influence on this aspect. But she also uses her voice in several different ways, some she never did before.
Still KT; so talented, independent, unique and still playing music by herself with her instruments and loop pedal sometimes but on a whole new level, I love it.

Setlist:
Come On, Get In
Glamour Puss
Uummannaq Song
False Alarm
If Only
Other Side Of The World
Scarlet Tulip (brand new song)
Black Horse And The Cherry Tree
Difficulty
Lost
The Entertainer
Saving My Face
Madame Trudeaux
Push That Knot Away
Fade Like A Shadow
Encore:
Funnyman
Close To Me
Suddenly I See

We were extremely lucky to walk in and find out we could almost stand at the front, so close to KT! Her voice (and of her bandmembers) were flawless and actually so was the entire show. Even though I am addicted to 'Tiger Suit', nothing can compete with KT doing a live show, everything is more intense.
The crowd was singing, dancing, jumping... standing still would be foolish.
KT was looking stunning wearing shiny black leather pants, a white top, hair in a bun with feathers and her iconic eyeliner. And her guitars, so many of them and all charming in their own way. I love the white one!




Pictures are by Marion, more are to find at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marionnert/sets/72157626233596401/

Here some videos of the show
Glamour Puss


Push that knot away


Scarlett Tulip (new song)


I could talk about this show forever and never be bored myself but for you, you should go and see for yourself if you get the chance.
Seeing her live like this made her legendary to me and actually my number one favorite artist.

March 24th
Bibelot, Dordrecht
Jaywalkers & Go Back To The Zoo


After KT's show I didn't have any shows planned to visit, kind of a shame since I love music the most when it's live. But then Sidse, the manager of Jaywalkers, invited me and a friend to visit one of their shows in The Netherlands.

I think my friend Marion is my lucky charm, because when we entered the venue we could stand all the way at the front again. She also makes pretty good pictures if you ask me!
I already knew the music of Jaywalkers by listening to their Myspace but I must say that I liked it even better live. Although their music is indie/rock, which is really popular lately, it is anything but average because they really made it their own. It's pretty impressive if you ask me, at their young age.
They also looked impeccable, wearing nice suits or white shirts and bowties. My compliments guys! They really paid attention to every aspect of the show.
Their EP 'An Exercise' is available on iTunes
Unfortunately the colored lighting during the show made it difficult to make really clear pictures but luckely we have a few!



Go Back To The Zoo played most of the songs from their album 'Benny Blisto'. I've seen them live before and again they were really good, energetic and fun.
We stood closest to guitarist Teun, who not only is good looking but also a really good guitar player. Marion was able to make a few really cool pictures because we stood so close.




I was happy to know the album well enough to sing along but was surprised that not a lot of people did. Didn't they know the lyrics or what?
These guys really have their own clothing style. I spotted (tiger) print t-shirts, leather boots, minnetonka boots, scarfs, necklaces, denim waistcoats, sunglasses and hats. It's this style where it should seem that they didn't spend much time but they secretely did. Exactly what I always try but mostly fail.

I really enjoyed myself that night, the atmosphere was good, the music was good and last but not least... I got to meet the bands.
The Jaywalkers and Sidse were at the merch after the show where I was able to have a chat with them and get a picture! They are really nice guys :)

From left to right: Tue, Lucas, Jakob, me and Daniel.

After a while we suddenly saw the guys from Go Back To The Zoo at the merch too.
Bram, me, Marion and Teun.

A big thank you to Sidse and the Jaywalkers for a great night!

The only music thing planned for now is Rock Werchter festival in Belgium from the 30th of June until the 3rd of July. I'm really excited to go but also curious since it will be my first entire festival. Knowing me it will be hilarious for the others while I want to look at all times. Even without electricity, probably rain or extreme heat and not an entire wardrobe to choose from.
Time will tell.

Love,
Noes

No comments: