Saturday, March 12, 2011

Phone traffic

A friend of mine was wondering what a world without social networks would look and feel like.
Sure, it wasn't such a long time ago but can you still exactly remember that time? I know I can't.

Thinking more about it I remembered when I got my very first cell phone.
I sounds so ridiculous now but I was eleven.
I have a little niece who's eleven now and she doesn't have a cell phone, even in this era.
But okay. My oldest sister, who was fifteen at that time, was promised to be allowed a cell phone then. But of course my other sister, thirteen, wanted one too and when she got the green light I was so jealous that I kept asking untill they got sick of me and said ok.

So we went to the store together and bought three cell phones (store was happy). This baby was mine.

Yes, totally size 'refrigerator' but that was appropriate for that time.

I had it for about two years when a kid from school kicked my schoolbag around (asshole) and totally destroyed it.

This cutie was cell phone number two.


He/she lasted a long time but died old age so was replaced by *drum ruffle*


Real pretty and good working but the turning mechanism wasn't the best idea since after two years it made my voice sounds as a robot everytime I wanted to call someone. Not very sexy. Also my subscription ended for this one so I decided it was time for a brand new, healthy, one. One without crazy slide or turning thingies.


Maybe this pink lady didn't put the fancy in pants but it was cute, reliable and had a great speaker!

The last one on the list is my current baby, I decided to join the movement and buy myself a smart phone.

We've been together for over one and a half years now and are very close friends :)
She (yes because she has pink, purple and turquoise dresses)connects me to all my friends by not just calling and texting but also Facebook, Hyves, LinkedIn, Twitter and even here on blogger.com.
I never thought to get so attached to all these things until she had to leave me for reparations on the A-button and I was extremely frustrated to not have all these things all the time. Not really healthy.
I decided not to leave my phone on my bed when I sleep anymore, normally I would check it everytime I woke up, even in the middle of the night.
She can now rest a little further away and we see eachother on a normal time in the morning.
I do believe that social networks make it easier to find others and to communicate with them but they can also mess things up that normal face to face communication wouldn't. You don't have facial expression and intonation which causes misunderstandings quite often.

Maybe my friends' idea isn't such a bad idea and from experience I know that I will survive. Maybe for a couple of days, maybe longer. I don't know when but I'm gonna try it out some day and after that, I'll let you know.
Someday soon, but not today.

Good night!

Love,
Noes & B. Berry

No comments: